Classmate Tex Is published a great blog about the over abundance of paid political ads that popped up this campaign season. I too, as a voter in Texas was annoyed at the amount of ads that I received in the mail and had to cringe every time an ad aired on TV while I was trying to watch the 6 o'clock news. Tex Is brought up probably the most important point that candidates need to learn: the ads don't work! He said after receiving the ads he couldn't remember who sent them, and probably the rest of the population who were sent the ads couldn't remember the candidates name as well. Unless, of course, they were already voting for that person. Many candidates choose to run ads that don't paint their competitor in a good light, but how effective are they? I would hope that most people who are still undecided as to who they are going to vote for research their candidate and don't make decisions based on the most often inaccurate claims made in the paid advertisements.
I also have to agree on his second point, candidates need to find a better arena than our mailboxes and televisions to duke it out. The only thing I look for when I have to painfully watch an ad on television is who paid for the ad, that way I can figure out how badly that person skewed the truth in order to make the other candidate look bad. There are other more effective ways to campaign than to annoying the voter population, and after this election season I have to agree that I would rather receive bills in the mail than multiple political advertisements.
No comments:
Post a Comment